Hickman® Line Care
It is essential that you properly care for and clean your Hickman® line. Developing an infection can be very serious. Here are some guidelines for you and your caregiver:
- Make sure that you or your caregiver is able to care for the Hickman® line properly. If you don't know how, ask a nurse to teach you.
- Always wash your hands before doing any line care.
- Clean the skin around the line, change the dressing and flush the line as you were shown in the hospital.
- If using a cloth dressing, it must be changed at the least every two days. If the dressing gets damp, it must be changed immediately.
- Do not go swimming or use hot tubs while you have a Hickman® line.